We have a new co-host and a new category to achieve! Please welcome Jen from That’ s What I am Talking About.
Use hashtag #2021AudiobookChallenge on social media to alert others of your listens and progress!
- Runs January 1, 2021 – December 31, 2021. You can join at any time.
- The goal is to find a new love for audios or to outdo yourself by listening to more audios in 2020 than you did in 2018.
- Books must be in audio format (CD, MP3, etc.)
- ANY genres count.
- Re-reads and crossovers from other reading challenges are allowed.
- You do not have to be a book blogger to participate; you can track your progress on Goodreads, Facebook, LibraryThing, etc.
- If you’re a blogger grab the button and do a quick post about the challenge to help spread the word. If you’re not a blogger you can help by posting on Facebook or Tweet about the challenge.
- Updates plus a giveaway will be posted twice during the year. The first update will be July 2, 2021, and the last update will take place on December 30, 2021.
- Newbie (I’ll give it a try) 1-5 <= ME!
- Weekend Warrior (I’m getting the hang of this) 5-10
- Stenographer (can listen while multitasking) 10-15
- Socially Awkward (Don’t talk to me) 15-20
- Binge Listener (Why read when someone can do it for you) 20-30
- My Precious (I had my earbuds surgically implanted) 30+
- Marathoner (Look Ma No Hands) 50+
- Over-Achiever (Power Listener) 75+
- The 100 Club (Audiobook Addict) 100+
Hey y’all! This is my “mini” review for the Audiobooks of Six of Crows and the Crooked Kingdom. I’m going to review them together (though for the challenge, they count as 2 separate audiobooks!)😏
Six of Crows (book #1) and Crooked Kingdom (book #2) are a duology from Leigh Bardugo. They take place in the Grishaverse (i.e. the Shadow and Bone trilogy) but can be enjoyed without reading/listening to the other series. Book #1 DOES have a huge cliffy so you’ll need both books!
In the city of Ketterdam, the criminals and gangs rule. You have to be tough to survive and these six are the toughest. They have to if they want to pull off a big heist from the imposing Ice Court that might just free them from the dangers of the city.
Here’s the cast:
- Kaz Brekker= leader of a gang called the Dregs and a master thief
- Inej Ghafa= a Suli spy for the Dregs called The Wraith
- Nina Zenik= a Grisha soldier and a Heartrender
- Matthias Helvar= a prisoner in Hellgate until he’s rescued by the others and a former drüskelle (soldier)
- Jesper Fahey= a member of the Dregs best known for his love of guns and cards, a Zemeni Fabrikator
- Wylan Van Eck= an illiterate who knows how to blow up stuff
I’ve read one other book by Leigh Bardugo but this was actually my very first Audiobook by any author! I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed listening to this series because I’m usually a very visual person which makes it super hard to just…listen. Having said that, it did take me several months to complete both audiobooks.🙄
But Leigh Bardugo is truly a master at creating such vivid and amazing worlds and characters. I found myself mesmerized by Ketterdam and the Ice Court and all the places in between! Plus, I found myself rooting for this rag tag group of misfits and outcasts. (Yes, even the cold and ruthless “Dirtyhands,” Kaz!) The narrators were fabulous too, I loved having all the different POVs. There’s a hint of romance, a few laughs and a ton of fantasy and suspense!
In the end, I rated the duology 4.5 stars. The only complaint I had is that I desperately wanted a happier and more definitive ending for all them. I’m just a sucker for an HEA I guess!? Told from multiple POVs with a somewhat happy ending. I voluntarily listened to this audiobook.
Have a marvelous day y’all!💜